Old August 26th 18, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Nikon mirrorless FF's launch. Sony FF sales about to drop. A lot.

On Aug 25, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 17:27:58 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 24, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 8/24/2018 9:34 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

If Nikon decides to release an APS-C MILC using this design concept they
will
always be restricted by the mount size, unless they come up with yet
another
new mount and lens family. Regardless, Niikon APS-C DSLR shooters who own
and
use 85% of the Nikon sales are the ones who will be herded toward the more
costly FF MILC offering.

That is a valid point, and applicable to most DX shooters.

I have two DX lenses that work fine on my FF, without switching to crop
mode. My 12-24 works fine at 15 mm and up, and I get some interesting
results with my 10.5. I sometimes carry the 12-24 on a wide and my
28-300 on some shoots. Admittedly the latter is a specialty lens, that
can give me the WA effect of about a 13 rectilinear in FF.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/why-nikon-mirrorless-already-sucks-281002

Sounds to me like a mind already made up before he tried the camera.

There are issues; they are priced as if they are D850’s, D5’s, or
D500’s. Unfortunately, the Z7, regardless of sharing the same sensor is not
a mirrorless version of the D850. There is only a single XQD memory slot. AF
does not match that of the Nikon DSLRs, and is no match for their most
serious FF MILC competition, the Sony a7 III, and Sony a7R III. poor face AF,
and no eye-AF. Initially they will only have three native “S” lenses with
a development road map. Their solution, use legacy “F” Nikkor glass with
the $300 adaptor. They have been hyped to revolutionize the mirrorless
market, and they missed that mark by two years. It seems that the only reason
one might care to buy either one of these cameras, is already being heavily
invested in Nikkor “F” mount glass. The consensus is, you would be better
off buying a D850, or D500, and forget the Nikon Z cameras.

Most of the reviewers at the Nikon NYC event were given time to use the
cameras, and while they noted the general quality, the lens roadmap, etc.
they were left sratcking their heads wondering why Nikon had learned nothing
from Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, and Fujifilm in the development of mirrorless
cameras.

Then one should consider that over 85% of Nikon DSLR sales are entry level
consumer/prosumer APS-C DSLRs, and both the Z6, and the Z7 do not point the
way forward for a nikon APS-C mirrorless. The massive new “S” mount is
not suited for the Nikon DX glass, another mount design, and lens line would
be needed for those folks. I seriously doubt that either of these cameras are
going to win the FF MILC war with Sony. So this leaves Olympus, Panasonic,
Fujifilm, Canon, and Sony to share the M43, APS-C MILC market. If one is
looking for affordable MF there is the Fujifilm GFX-50S, and the soon to be
released GFX-100S.

We shall see what Canon brings to the FF mirrorless market, but if they are
going to go head to head with Sony, and these Nikons, they have their work
cut out for them.

As far as I am concerned, really have no need for any FF camera, DSLR, or
MILC. I have become quite comfortable with my X-T2, and X-E3. I am interested
to see what the forthcoming X-T3 will bring, so far the rumors are very
promising.

Savageduck