Old January 20th 07, 06:45 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
MarkČ

Default Epson 3800 and HP Z3100 printer reviews

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
MarkČ wrote:

I did say in the first paragraph "This is not an even comparison, as
the Epson 3800 and the HP Z3100 are very different printers. But I
could not resist it.

Resist next time...
-On the other hand, don't take Douglas' rant too hard...since he has
about as much credibility around here as Milli Vanilli has for
vocals.

LOLOL Agreed (about resisting next time).
I've further revised the head to head to spell out just why and what I
was interested in.

There is an interesting side to this, and I'll do a followup piece on
it. And that is that I often see people on a couple of other lists I
am on debating whether they can get away with a printer like the 3800
(or even 2800) or whether they need to go to something like the 7800
or Z3100. Now of course there is really no comparison between the
two: the paper handling options, width, ink capacity and likely
longevity and ease of service make a Z3100 far superior. But in terms
of print quality they can be VERY close, so it depends on what people
are looking for.

I think the more ligical alternative to the 3800 is the 4800. It can use
110ml and/or 220ml ink carts, and is built to true industrial standards.

But of course the prints look very similar. -The 7800 adds ONLY width
capacity over the 4800, and shouldn't be expected to deliver better prints
at the same size.
www.pbase.com/markuson