Old March 5th 10, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

Default film speed for old films

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Sorry, but I have lost the original thread. I was posting about film speed
of pre-WWII films to compare with modern film in a Kodak Brownie camera.

It just so happens that Popular Science has made their archives publicly
availaible and I looked up the December 1941 isssue as that was the last
one before the US entered the war.

The Kodak ad in there was for Verichrome (not Verichrome Pan, which came in
the 1950's) which was ASA 50. It also mentions Super XX (100 daylight, 80
tungsten) for night shots.

In comparison, Kodacolor was ASA 20.

I'm not sure about Kodachrome it was either ASA 8 or 10.

I have some old tower catalogs and they pretty must say to only use
print film in the box cameras due to their limited control. From my
experience with the simple Tower and Ikon ones I have shot with, 50 ASA
print film in daylight works pretty well (Ilford pan F) or I have put a
deep yellow gel inside and shot with 100 speed B&W. The yellow filter
helps the image quality quite a bit!

I would guess if you wanted to "dial in" one of these for modern film in
daylight you could play with ND filters till you got the exposure right?
My old Ikon has 3 waterhouse stops which helps. You might be able to add
one to a brownie, which would probably help image quality too.

Stephanie