Old March 30th 13, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Is it really illegal to snap a picture of a clerk in a Post Office?

On 2013.03.29 22:14 , Danny D. wrote:
Is it illegal to snap a photograph of a clerk inside a post office?

May I ask:
Legally, in California, in a Post Office, when nobody objects,
is it against the law to snap a photograph or otherwise record
the transaction?

No idea. But really ... the US post office is still on rules that date
to the pony express when cameras were a novelty. I doubt there is a
rule against taking a photo.

The person to ask would be the local postmaster. Not an employee in a
store. If the "officer in charge" claims such a rule, ask him to
produce the rule next time you're by the shop. And "local" rules don't
count.

The question to ask, always (of cops, guards and now posties) is:

"Oh, is that so? Please produce the rule or law. If you can't
produce it I'll wait while you call your supervisor and ask him
to produce it. What is your name again? Spell that please? Your
badge/employee number? Yes, indeed, whenever I'm harassed I make
sure I have what I need to report it."

I often ship parcels or registered letters and I always take a bar-scan
of the shipping label (using the Canada Post app and phone camera). I
could take photos of the postal clerk and I doubt she would object.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."