Old January 25th 04, 05:20 AM
Ken Hart

Default the effects of aging on developers

"Robert J. Mathes" wrote in message
This question may be a bit of a handful. My question concerns developers

and
what are the effects on the print or film as the developing agents age. I
know most, or I should say those that I use (powdered mix D-76 and Dektol
and Selectol), say a shelf life of 2 months in a tightly-stoppered dark
bottle is the limit and I follow that suggestion. But what I would like to
know is what can be expected as the developing agents age. Are the effects
uniform or do the highlights suffer first and shadow detail second or vice
versa? I guess what I'm asking is if the component developing agents
deteriorate at different rates. What happens if you go beyond the

suggested
shelf life. Is there some kind of compensation that can be made for the
aging of the developing agents?
I'm hoping to get replies based on obviously more knowledge, but also
the breath of experience that others have in processing their own film and
prints. All replies will be welcomed. Thanks!

Others here can answer your question much better, but the _very_general_
answer is the developer activity decreases with age. Black areas will not
develope fully. You will get less contrast. If you _absolutely,_positively_
had to use some old developer, I'd increase the developer time, perhaps by
25-50%.

As for the 2-month shelf-life, I prefer the guideline: "If it's brown, flush
it down".

Ken Hart