Old March 24th 13, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default So how good is 36 megapixels?

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:06:28 +1100, "Trevor" wrote:
:
: "Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message
: ...
: "David J. Littleboy" wrote:
: "Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
: ...
: Trevor wrote:
:
: No, it also depends on how much improvement can be
: made in lens design, or
: it's just a number for the sake of a number. Sensor design is already
: outstripping lens capability,
:
: For mobile phone 41 MPix sensors, yes.
: For the tele end of superzoom 16 M Pix cameras, yes.
: For some kit lenses, especially outside their best
: performance, yes.
:
: Right, and for most available lenses once you get to 50mp and beyond
: in 35mm format. Which was my point.
: We should see a return in development and sales toward prime lenses,
: as zooms certainly won't cut it, and many of the primes will need
: improving to do so as well.

I doubt that we'll see that. The ongoing takeover of serious photography by
zooms has been largely unaffected by improvements in sensor resolution.
Instead, better sensors have been accompanied by better zooms. Though new,
better prime lenses are still being developed, they don't seem to be
reclaiming much market share. Primes have become a curiosity in most circles,
including this one, except for increasingly specialized purposes. There's
probably no going back.

Bob