Old September 26th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

Default Need help in selecting new camera, please

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:49:31 -0400, ASAAR wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:21:31 GMT, Jack wrote:

I really appreciate your reply. I would like to ask something about
your last sentence. I connect and download from my present Fuji
camera to my computer through a cable that plugs into the camera and a
USB port. Do the other manufactures(and other Fuji's) have that
facility or do you have to remove the memory card and insert it into a
reader? Thanks for your help.

Almost all digital cameras that I'm aware of work the same way
that your 2600z does, where the camera makes the internal card
resemble an external disk drive, and all parts of the card can be
accessed by programs on your computer, such as by file browsers.
Canon's cameras are exceptions, being a little more restrictive on
what can be copied. So if you got another camera, whether it's a
Fuji or one from another manufacturer, you don't need to use a card
reader if you don't want to, and you can still use Fuji's software
to copy, manage and edit your photos.

One thing to add: If you tend to fill up a big card with photos before
downloading them to the computer, a card reader will likely be quite a
bit faster than hooking the camera directly to the computer. If, on the
other hand, you tend to take ten or twenty pictures and then download, a
card reader won't save a signficant amount of time.

-dms