Old August 24th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

Default Using Nikkon Lenses on Canon Bodies (and vica versa)

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Jim wrote:

Can somebody clarify for me what you need to do it, which cameras it
would work with and how much it would cost please?

Yes, such adapters have been available for quite some time. For
instance, Canon sold adapters to connect various other
makes to their Canonflex R cameras, their Canon FL cameras, and their
Canon FD cameras. These adapters were
merely stop gap things. An adapter for the EOS mount is probably
made by somebody somewhere.

Yep, Nikkor to EOS adapters are widely available and work extremely well.

However, as you stated, you are left with manual focus and manual
aperature controls. Although I own Nikon gear, if
I did own Canon gear, I would never consider such an option.

Never tried one I see? My Nikkors meter just fine with my Mk III as they
do
on the 5D.

As a result of the difference in back focus between the bodies of
Canon and other makes, it may or may not be possible to manufacture
and adapter which will maintain infinity focus.

UTTER NONSENSE! Haven't a Nikkor yet that had any focus problems and
every
one of them works fine for infinity focus.

And you won't because the back focus of Canon bodies is much less than the
back focus of Nikon bodies.
In fact, I never said that you would not be able to get infinity focus from
mounting a Nikon lens on a Canon body.
This entire post was intended to show why such a thing is possible, but the
reverse is not. If my intentions were
not clear, just blame it on the weather.

What I do not know (and don't much care) is whether other manufacturer's
lenses can be mounted on a Canon body.

I must admit that not one time during my 20 year's use of a Canon FT-QL did
I ever consider mounting a Nikon lens on it.
That was during the time that Canon made excellent adapters.
Jim

Rita