Old August 22nd 07, 09:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Nushar

Default No P&S for a serious hobbyist?

AAvK wrote:

: Okay now, pay careful attention:

: You must sacrifice that glorious compact size for all the features
: you want...

: I checked for cameras on www.dpreview.com/ using the "feature
: search" for 28 to 200+ - *not one* was a compact, as follows:
:
: Canon PowerShot Pro1 (nice and small, and gone)
: Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 (s9100 size, infra red shooting for police work)
: Fujifilm FinePix S9100
: Fujifilm FinePix S9000 Z (s9100 size)
: Fujifilm FinePix S6000 fd (mine, bigger than the s9100)
: Fujifilm FinePix S8000 fd (not out yet)
: Minolta DiMAGE 7i (gone)
: Minolta DiMAGE 7 (gone)
: Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi (gone)
: Minolta DiMAGE A1 (gone)

OK, now your turn to pay careful attention...

You don't know how to use dpreview.com. Your criteria were not specific
enough and their engine, seeing too many matches, cut the list off at
10 items arranged alphabetically.

If you were even semi-familiar with the market, you'd know even without
dpreview that a few compact cameras do cover 28-200+ range: Panasonic
Lumix DMC-TZ3; DMC-TZ2; Sony DSC-F828. (From my perspective, the first
two lack manual control; the Sony is a special case because of price as
well as weight.)

Not only that, a few ULTRACOMPACT cameras also cover the 28-200 range:
Ricoh Caplio R3; R4; R5; R6. (Again, for me, no manual control.)

Look, I know my requirements. I have plenty of film cameras for the
situations when they'd serve the need. There are good personal reasons
why I am looking for a digital w/ certain features and no attachments.
In search of such a camera I have almost done a dissertation at
dpreview.com!

The cameras you have listed are classified as "SLR-like" at dpreview.
The lightest of this breed with 28-200+ is Panasonic Lumix FZ-18, which
got alphabetically cut off in your list. If you wish, you can look it
up directly or get to it by specifying the weight 500g. :-)

Anyway, I do realize that I have to make a compromise unless I don't
buy a camera for now. I am waiting to look at the FZ-18 before making
those decisions.

I do appreciate your intention to help. However, your "wagging finger"
beginning, manifest ignorance about the market, and the demeanor most
reminiscent of a missionary preaching to cannibals were a bit annoying.

--
Z (Remove all XX, YY, ZZ)