Old July 3rd 13, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_6_]

Default Hot Stuff

Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 13:07:02 UTC+1, PeterN wrote:
On 7/3/2013 1:55 AM, David Taylor wrote:

On 03/07/2013 00:40, Dudley Hanks wrote:

Tried my hand at shooting fireworks at the local Canada Day

celebration.

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/Fireworks.jpg

It was a longish exposure, about 4 secs, so the original was

fairly bright.

After a bit of Adobe tinkering, I'm told the result isn't all

that bad.

But ... What do you gurus think?

Take Care,

Dudley

It captures the atmosphere, but less exposure would have been better. Or

a smaller aperture. It's out of focus, which is the major defect I can

see.

I think it's overexposed. I don't see it as a focus issue.

Yes the sky looks a little to blue for a night shot, well I assume the firework display was at night. The bottom image does looks a bit burnt out and lacks colour. I couldn't find the EXIF data .

Was wondering whethe ryou use rteh firework mode as I think that purposely sets a longer exposure than would normally be used.

I used aperture priority with no exposure compensation and the
Canon f/1.4 50mm lens.

Ended up shooting close to a hundred pics using everything
from long manual exposures stopped down to f8 all the way to
some shorter, nearly wide open pics at iso 800. Most came out
like the one posted.

As for timing, the event was a "family friendly" event,
meaning it was a bit earlier than one might expect for
fireworks (read dusk) so the kids could watch without having
to lose too much sleep. That could explain the overly blue
sky.
Thanks,
Dudley