Old January 24th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default The worst lens you ever had ... a collection of stories

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
ink.net...

What is/are the worst lens/es you every took a picture with?
Leaving out the plastic-fantastics: Dianas, Empire Babies and
their cousins.

During much of my photo-hobby life, money was too dear to make
ill-considered lens purchases, but I got nailed twice.

1. I bought a package of used lenses getting into Pentax 6x7. In the
package was a Komura Telemore 2x doubler - so bad that you could see the
defects though the viewfinder, or so I thought. You got low contrast, loss
of sharpness, and color fringing all in one lens. I put a rock bottom price
on it at a swap meet table and carried the guilt of selling it for several
years.

2. A Yashica 635 MF TLR with the Yashinor [3 element] lens which preceded
the later Yashinon.. [And the Yashinon was nothing to get worked up over
either.] It may not have been any worse than any other 3-element lens, but
it was the only one I ever owned. You could watch a medium format negative
image fall apart when enlarged to a fill frame 11x14 print. Fortunately, I
bought it at a forgiving shop which took it back.