Old November 9th 05, 06:08 AM

Default Jim Marshall: Not Fade Away

In article ,
says...
In article t,
says...

Meeting Mr. Marshall was very cool. He was very humble and just standing
in line at a camera shop waiting his turn to purchase some used lenses.
He asked if I had a real F with me, sort of a joke. We chatted briefly
about Nikons and that was it.

That would have been a surreal moment for me.

He has a new book out called "Proof", which looks quite interesting. It
is pretty much the same collection of pictures form the 60's and 70's as
Not Fade Away, but in addition to the main pictures they have published
his proof sheets from the same roll, along with the reasons why he chose
a particular shot.

I was just reading his intro to NFA again last night and in many ways
his approach to photography is exactly the same as mine. Trust,
simplicity and above all, let the photo stand not as a reflection of
your style, but that of your subject.

Yep, I am having more fun in the last few months with an old Pentax
Spotty and 99 cent store film. I am getting some damn good pics too and
even scanning the drugstore prints on a cheap flatbed is producing some
interesting images. For me it is more art than tech which is why I like
Jim Marshall's stuff too. Some of the best work I have seen in years is
from an Italian named Michele Lazzarotto from Padua. He shoots slides and
then projects them onto scuptures and statues and then re-shoots them
with print film. Great stuff. He also does very good B&W portraits that
remind me a lot of Jim Marshall.