Old March 23rd 12, 05:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

Default Why the 800E is more important than ever

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
[]
(6 x 4 prints)
I make it 2.16 MP at 300 pixels per inch.

You are right.

If you are going to get down to this by cropping you are going to
throw away 94% of the image. Isn't this a little overdoing it?

[]
Regards,

Eric Stevens

I'm sure that you know that isn't how it works. If I did just use a 2 MP
crop from my 12 MP full DSLR image, the result would have all the
imperfections of which the pixel-peepers complain. I tend to try and
frame images precisely at the time of taking, and to take at full
resolution "just in case". I could adopt a slightly sloppier framing
approach (perhaps for those shots where there is rapidly developing action
or where you are holding the camera above your head - "point and shoot",
and then know that I could still crop and get a good quality image. Or I
could use a lower taking resolution if I knew it was "only" for the Web or
6 x 4 prints.

The 36 MP Nikon D800E is not aimed at making 6 x 4 prints, though.

Cheers,
David