Old December 14th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Summer Wind

Default Kodachrome

"ChrisQuayle" wrote in message
Must have been asleep for the past few months - seems that there is now
only a single Kodachrome lab left in the world and Kodachrome super 8 is
no more as well.

I used mostly E-6 film when I was doing a lot of food photography about ten
years ago, but I would shoot the occasional roll of Kodachrome, mainly
because of its status as a classic. Kodachrome 64 was available at Wal-Mart
and Target in those days. While I liked the results, the wait to get the
chromes back from Kodak was excruciating, and the quality of their service
was deteriorating by that time. The slides were delivered in cheapo
cardboard mounts and were often dusty. I eventually concluded that
Kodachrome wasn't worth the trouble. I still have the Kodachrome Super-8
movies I shot as a teen in the 1960s and they looked great the last time I
viewed them, about two years ago while transferring them to Mini-DV. While
I haven't used it in a long time, my Kodak Instamatic M2 looks to be in
working order and I might run some film through it while I can still get it.
My Super-8 camera, close-up lens, and projector, all in their original
boxes, are tucked away in a closet. The smell of a Kodachrome Super-8
cartridge when you opened the foil package is a pleasant memory from my teen
years.

Does anyone happen to know if Kodachrome was the first film to use the
suffix "chrome"?

SW