Old March 23rd 05, 09:45 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Inaccessible writes:

In article ,
Roland Karlsson wrote:

When making professional prints film is normally scanned.

Another generalized statement.

Good scanners can extract more information from
film than any enlarger can do.

Have you ever made an optical print? I don't need the information
gotten from scanning to make a better optic print than digitized film
produces through a computer printer, provided the film is exposed
correctly to start.

I've made thousands of optical prints, and also own some really fine
ones made by others (I'm a pretty good B&W printer, but I ain't no
"master").

Consider, for example, this article from June 1999 by Galen Rowell
about how he was converted to digital printing
http://www.mountainlight.com/articles/op1999.06f.html:

My miraculous conversion literally happened overnight. Federal Express
delivered 50-inch prints outputted from my digital files that held all
the saturation of my original 35mm transparencies with even better
tonal separation and the apparent sharpness of medium format.