Old August 3rd 04, 05:43 PM
Lloyd

Default Difficult subject

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:40:39 +0200, Petros
wrote:

Thank you, Lloyd, for your good advice. Unfortunately, the equipment I
listed is all I have to work with, so I'll have to make do with it.
(The Sigma does sound a bit loud, and that concerns me more for the
shots during the ceremony.) I think that I've gotten a number of really
good ideas from this group, and one idea in particular hit me as I
looked through your site: If you can't get the portrait with their eyes
open and looking at the viewer, make it work some other way. "Stacey
and Cassandra" is a good example. That helps me get out of the box I
was in. Thanks!

aug304 from Lloyd Erlick,

Glad to help!

That portrait is a good example of why we should keep every
negative, no matter what. I was looking over old work I had
decided wasn't so great, and found a few I liked. I used to
be very inflexible about subject's eyes being visible.
Closed eyes were just a mistake. I guess I've grown up since
then! Some of our errors are actually art...

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326