Old December 7th 05, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Default "Nature's Best" contest and film vs digital

I'm pretty good at math, but, apparently, not at counting.

Your bottom line compares 35 mm film to digital 35-mm-like (what is it
called, anyway, especially if the sensor is less than 35 mm across? I guess
just "digital SLR".). But it is still the case that film has it over
digital for landscapes. It just has more options with larger formats.
(Compare best film to best digital, although I don't know about those large
39 MPix backs.)

--
- Alan Justice

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
ups.com...
Alan Justice writes ...

I had noticed in the 6/05 Outdoor Photographer that 18 of 20 photos in
Top Landscape Tips from "veteran scenic masters" were film

I found the article you mention (pg 66+ ?) and while there are 20 Tips
from the "veteran scenic masters" there were only 13 photos, not 20 ...
as I guessed, most of these were large format (four used 4x5" cameras)
or medium format (two 6x7, two 6x4.5). This leaves five and of those
three were film images shot with Nikons and two were digital images
shot with Canons, so the percentages and brands match up pretty well
with what I described for "Nature's Best" if you compare 35 mm to
digital.

Bill