Old January 10th 19, 12:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default Finally got to the point where no new camera holds my interest(waiting for specific offering)

On 2019-01-10 04:12, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 08:36:24 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

Its amazing what Google can produce. This is DxO's own account of the
situation at:
https://www.dxomark.com/dxomark-came...ol-and-scores/

"Dynamic range corresponds to the ratio between the highest
brightness a camera can capture (saturation) and the lowest
brightness it can capture (which is typically when noise becomes
more important than the signal — that is, a signal-to-noise ratio
below 0 dB). A value of 12 EV is excellent, with differences below
0.5 EV usually not noticeable. Dynamic range is an open scale."

This appears to confirm that the situation is as I deduced: they are
not testing the dynamic range as recorded in a raw file. They are
testing the range that a camera can capture. i.e. it is the dynmaic
range of the sensor. It is not the dynamic range of the raw file.

It doesn't actually say that, however.

How, specifically, are they bypassing the raw file to get the data?

By measuring not the data in the file but the range of brightness that
the camera can capture from their test set up.

And where _specifically_ are they getting that data? What is the probe
point? What is the probe?

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."