Old March 9th 13, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

Default Nikon did it again, increasing the price of replacement lensby $1000

On 3/5/2013 9:19 PM, Rob wrote:
On 6/03/2013 12:32 PM, PeterN wrote:
I agree with much of what you say, but:
my 80-499 focuses a lot faster on my D800 than on the D300, but only if
I use center focus. My Nikon TC extenders will not fit because of the
protrusion of the rear element. It does fit on the Kenko 1.4, but the
image is horribly soft.
I have no reservations about trying the new 80-400. but only if it will
work with a 1.4 extender, as I would like a 500mm.

On those very rare occasions I can use my 500mm f5.6 Mamiya MF lens -
used manually, attached with a Zork converter. ( Nobody wanted to give
me any money for the lens so I kept it)

I have an old 500 mirror that I try every so often. I have rarely been
happy with the results. For most birds, you cannot have too much lens.
Similarly, you can't have too much money.

--
PeterN