Old March 15th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Canon 5D price drops

Rich wrote:
$3300 to less than $3000 now at B&H plus, a $300 rebate.
I'm wondering if the D200 Nikon has taken a big piece of
that market? Probably not, since $1200 or so still separates them
and the imagery from the 5D is arguably better in most regards.
But wasn't the 5D almost $3700 at introduction?

Well, actually the 5D is just fullframe (with all its advantages and
disadvantages). Knowing both I believe that the Nikon D200 is better at
basically everything else; much of it for purely technical reasons
(sealed body) and some of it for rather personal reasons (better user
interface).

However, the D200 is clearly taking away a lot of business from
Canon... and Canon does what it does best. They have the power and
endurance to basically lower the price so much that nobody will buy the
Nikon anymore... and I am sure that we will see a few price reductions
or limited time offers from Canon on the 5D, now that the 20D successor
30D is clearly not what people were expecting