Old January 4th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Default Shelf life for Hypo Clearing Agent?

"Craig Schroeder" wrote in
message ...
For Richard K.....

Awhile back, I was trying to locate my old, original
source for the
HCA that I've been using..... The label on my bottles had
the formula
and I had come to just remix batches from that and had
lost the
source. I'm suspicious that it was from something that
you had once
posted long ago. I'm usually careful about keeping
sources attached
to my formulas and hadn't done so on this. This is what
I've been
using.

Sodium Sulfite 200g/L
Sodium Bisulfite 40g/L
Sodium Citrate 10g/L
EDTA TSSalt 10g/L

Dilute 1:9 for use.

Did this come from you? Do you recognize it and its
source? Just
tying up loose ends here but I recall in testing that it
was effective
and has become my normal HCA for print duties. I've
settled upon TF-4
fixer and no required HCA for film use but didn't want to
rethink my
sequencing and related issues for toning/fixing, etc for
printing and
continue to use this HCA. If not yours, do you have any
opinions,
especially in the Citrate and EDTA usefulness?

Craig Schroeder
craig nospam craigschroeder com

It didn't come from me. Its double the strength of the
packaged stuff but the ratios are about right. The formula
in the patent dosen't have the sodium citrate in it although
it mentioned in the list of suitable sequestering agents. No
formula is given in the research paper. I have to do some
digging to get you the citations.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA