Old August 7th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

Default looking for very reasonably priced 120/35 film scanner

"Soldarity" wrote:
What can I expect to pay? Can folks sugges particular models including
older used models that i might find on ebay or craigslist?
A decent resolution would be nice but as th itle says my budget is
very tight these days.

The usual suspects are the Epson flatbed and Nikon film-only scanners. My
experience has been that the Epson 4800 ppi scanners are nowhere close to
the Nikon 4000 ppi scanners. Nikon makes an affordable 35mm-only scanner
(Coolscan V), a pricey 35mm-only scanner (5000), and a painfully expensive
35mm and 120 scanner (9000). All are excellent.

My recommendation would be to spend up to US$200 on an Epson 4800 ppi
scanner, either new or refurbished from Epson, and use it to learn scanning
with minimal expectations for the quality. You should be able to get killer
8x10s from 645 and 6x6, and very nice 12x16s (maybe even 13x19s) from 6x7.

The Epson V700 or V750 might be a tad better than their 4800 ppi scanners,
but the last I checked, they were quite a bit more expensive.

Then take a couple of your sharpest, clearest, best composed 35mm and 120
frames (as seen under at least a 20x loupe) and get professional scans made.
The Nikon film scanners will do very nearly as well as that, and seeing
those, you can decide if it's worth it to spend the money on a Nikon
scanner.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan