Old June 26th 04, 08:41 PM
Ken Nadvornick

Default [SI] Local Culture - comments from a rank amateur.

"Colm" wrote:

Ken Nadvornick:
This one I really like. I'm a sucker for monochrome anyway. Nice
composition, dof, sharpness, traffic movement. Interesting place well
captured.

Thanks for the good review. Glad you enjoyed the photo.

Snohomish (a Native American-derived name) is a very conservative and
religious county located in the much more liberal western Washington, Puget
Sound region. I have often passed this small 4-6 person rural roadside
chapel while driving east on U.S. Hwy 2 into the Cascade Mountains, or
beyond into the great Columbia River Basin. The chapel is only about a ten
minute drive from my house and is the only one like it I have ever seen in
my travels throughout the far western U.S.

I had initially intended to wait for someone to stop in order to provide a
human element to the composition. But it began to dawn on me that the sight
of a tripod on top of my pickup truck's camper shell was probably serving as
an effective visitor-repellent. Besides, the longer I sat out in this
remote location, the more I felt that remoteness should be part of the
picture. This feeling eventually resulted in that large open area depicted
in the photograph between the chapel and the road sign/highway, with no
people in sight.

Ken