Old June 25th 04, 02:56 PM
Colm

Default [SI] Local Culture - comments from a rank amateur.

I suppose someone needs to test the water on this one, so here goes.
Bring a pinch of salt and pull over a chair.

Jim Kramer:
I find my eye wandering upwards on this shot. With the top cropped out my
eye wanders on down the hill to the next set of lights. I'm not too sure
what to focus on or what to take from the shot

Al Denelsbeck:
A very pleasant shot indeed. Nice composition, still some detail in the
fisherpeeps. I like it.

Bowser:
I like this one too. The kid looking at the camera makes the shot. Ideally
I'd have liked a slightly lower camera angle to bring the kid up into the
frame a little. I think it could have added impact.

Alan Browne:
Nice shot, nice house. Technically a fine shot. It's the kind of shot that
would have benefitted hugely from a little human interest imho. Someone
standing at the doorway would have been ideal.

Doug Payne:
I think I'd have concentrated on the horse & buggy with this one. The day
was just too dull for the bigger picture to work imho. It's nearly moody,
but not quite.

Rich Pos:
I like this one. The subdued lighting emphasises the ramshackle nature of
the subject. My only nitpick is that I find the red in the flag and the
highlight beside it fighting for attention. The highlight is a little bit
distracting.

Ken Nadvornick:
This one I really like. I'm a sucker for monochrome anyway. Nice
composition, dof, sharpness, traffic movement. Interesting place well
captured.

Joseph Kewfli:
I'd imagine there's plenty culture growing under that counter:-) Nice
capture of interaction between the 2 women.

Vic Mason:
Yuck! This shot is just teeming with culture....
I think a more dynamic composition would have been better. Turning the lens
to the right a little would have made more use of the sweeping curve, unless
of course that would have brought distractions into the lower right corner.

Mike Henley:
Coronation Street? There's some culture growing on the roof of the house on
the left, but other than that the shot, and subject area, is bereft of
culture. That's one dull looking place.

Michael J Hoffman:
This one I didn't like at first but it's grown on me. There's plenty going
on here without being too busy. Lot's of interest in the faces of those
waiting in line. The old guy in the red shirt looks worried they might run
out.

Colm Gallagher:
What was I thinking of? Truthfully, this one is a bit tenuous. The cross is
a symbol of Christian culture. The deer just got in the way....

The Dave:
Lovely sky. The rest just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. The building on
the right looks like it's going to fall onto the cars parked in front of it.

Bret Douglas:
Interesting angle on this one. The elevated viewpoint certainly makes for a
more interesting shot. They've left plenty space for new customers in the
graveyard...

Matt Clara:
This is my favourite shot of them all. I love the colours, the distortion,
the colours, the light in the sky, the colours, the movement in the flags.
Did I mention I love the colours? Was this taken in Chicago? 1st flag US,
2nd Chicago, 3rd Illinois?

--
Colm