Old October 22nd 20, 12:28 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_10_]

Default Google Pixel 5 camera and photos issues

The Real Bev wrote:
On 10/21/2020 11:36 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 10:52:42 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

With ES File Explorer I created a 'shortcut' for the subdirectory that
contains my photos. I also created/found/whatever an FTP connection to
a subdirectory on my computer. I tap the shortcut, select SELECT ALL,
tap COPY, tap the 'hamburger' at upper left, tap the FTP connection and
tap PASTE. I used to have a shortcut for the FTP subdirectory, but that
doesn't work any more. This is just as easy.

I agree it's trivial to copy files to/from Android to/from Windows/Linux:
o How do you copy photos over USB from Android to Windows?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/X9sUE-ATG94

I've never wanted to do that. I haven't figured out the proper syntax
to suck in files from my windows machine (I used to be able to do that,
but Something Has Changed) with my linux machine so if I want to copy my
tax pdfs to the windows machine I just do it from the windows machine
with copy+paste.

What I should investigate are the "automatic" file-transfer solutions
o Particularly an automatic solution that works over the Wi-Fi LAN.

shudder As soon as I discovered that the Pixel was automatically
sending my photos to Google I turned that off. I transfer photos to my
computer, edit them, and upload the edited versions (smaller, FREE
storage) to Google Photos.

Understood. When I say "automatic", I mean local to my own LAN only.
o Do you have a working freeware automatic sync between Android &
Windows?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/7aOWwoEwsZ0

I _never_ want to put anything on the net that I don't have to!

It's handy putting my edited photos on the net. I can just give people
links if I want to show them a photo. I really hate the way google
photos does that now. I used to enable people to permanently view whole
subdirectories (or the entire account), but now all the google-generated
links die after 6 months. I suppose I can just do the link separately,
though. Why did I not think of that until just this minute?

I need to check to see if I can see my computer via LAN if I hook it up
via USB...

I'm confused whose "file manager" you're speaking about in that sentence:
a. Do you try to see Windows' file system from Android? (which you can
do)
b. Do you try to see Android's file system from Windows? (it's the
default)

Windows is out of the picture. Transfers are between linux and android
only. "File manager" refers to Android's ES File Manager.
Computer=linux. I use a command in an xterm to do copies.

Which direction are you _trying_ to see the other device from?
A. From Android?
B. From Windows?

o When you plug in your phone to usb on your computer, does your file
system mount on Windows 10?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/qxztHvQevDY

I haven't tried mounting the phone to my linux computer, although I do
that with my Nook reader. It's a nuisance to mount and unmount other
filesystems so I try to do it as little as possible. Windows
automounts, but if linux will do that I don't know about it and I
wouldn't want to do it anyway. I also close applications individually
when I shut my computer off...

On Linux, try

cat /proc/filesystems

If mtpfs isn't listed there, then it's probably a fuse file system
that needs to be installed. MTP is good for a variety of
devices doing media transfer, but doesn't handle everything.
MTP is the follow-on to PTP (picture transfer protocol).

My point and shoot digital camera is USB mass storage, and so
doesn't need MTP to get files off.

MTP has the "advantage", that both processors (a desktop and
the processor inside the device) can use the storage at
the same time. Whereas USB mass storage, only one can have
exclusive access at a time, and the other has to wait. But
it's a rather clunky kind of thing, and not about to
win any prizes. Google added a couple options to it, to
try to make it more granular.

Automounting, most of the time, is a double click and done
thing. And a lot of the mounting can be done that way.
(The mountpoint, a MKDIR, is done for you.)
There are other cases, forensic recovery, where manual
mount commands in command line, still have to be crafted.

Paul