Old November 2nd 05, 05:28 PM
Chris Brown

Default Dust on sensor?

In article .com,
phk wrote:
I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems
with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.

Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems. It
appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

IME (I've owned 4 DSLRs), dust isn't that big a deal. If you shoot a lot
with the lens stopped roght down (e.g. macro), it can be a pain, but it's
generally not visible with the aperture wider than f/16.

A blower doesn't tend to get the dust off. I've found that pec pads, with a
drop of Eclipse cleaning solution (methanol), wrapped round the end of a
suitable shaft, such as a cotton-wool bud, with the camera on a tripod can
make short work of all dust, but you don't need to do it often. I owned an
EOS 10D for a couple of years and cleaned the sensor precisely once.

Occasionally you'll get something that's visible at f/8, or so. These are
more of a pain, but unlike the smaller stuff these do tend to succumb to
being blown off, and you can generally see them with the naked-eye as well,
if you look at the sensor (remember the image is rotated 180 degrees, so the
bottom-left of the image is the top-right of the sensor).