Old March 24th 05, 03:13 AM
Dan Birchall

(bmoag) wrote:
My recent experience in Hawaii:
Even in depths of just 10meters red light is fairly well filtered out
by the water as far as digital cameras are concerned.

Yep. Actually, I'd say that's true at even shallower depths - I do a
lot of skindiving with a digital, and there's a lot of blue/green.

Using flash underwater is often a problem as waterborne particles
reflect the light back at the camera.

Yep. "Backscatter." How much of a problem it is varies depending on
recent weather patterns (rain will cause runoff), time of day (morning
is clearer, before everyone gets to the beach) and how still the water
is, among other things.

Post exposure color correction helps but the color effect is rather
unrealistic but better than nothing.

Yep. Between haze at the volcano and lack of red light underwater,
I've gotten a lot of practice with correction.

--
Dan Birchall, Hilo HI -
http://hilom.multiply.com/ - images, words, technology