Old January 31st 04, 07:03 PM
Stacey

Default Newbie question: lenses

Largformat wrote:

Subject: Newbie question: lenses
From: "MikeWhy"
Date: 1/31/2004 12:11 AM Mountain Standard Time
Hi. I'm brand new to LF, and just bought my first camera and lens. I have
a question about the lens, a Schneider Angulon 90mm f/6.8.

If you are going to be buying used lenses you might want to go back
through issues of View Camera magazine. Over the years we've run articles
on most of the lenses you will find out there.

Or look here for some freely distributed information:

http://www.graflex.org/lenses/lens-spec.html

http://www.graflex.org/lenses/lens-faq.html

http://www.graflex.org/lenses/photog...-tutorial.html

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/results.html

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Alt_cameras/large format lenses.htm

http://www.f32.net/Services/Equipmen...lensspecs.html

http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/lflenses.html

The angulon can be good or poor depending on the sample you end up with.
Look at http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/results.html and see the variations
in results from different samples. This is true of most lenses especially
older ones. I would never buy a used lens (or new?) without some sort of
"return if it's a dud" warranty.

I'd consider the small size of the lens, whether you need movements and
finally testing the sample you are send and decide if it might be useful. A
SA has more coverage but is a MUCH larger and heavier lens.
--

Stacey