Old January 31st 04, 12:07 PM
BCampbell

Default Newbie question: lenses

Ah, someone else like me who buys first and asks questions later. : - )

I believe this lens has an image circle of 154mm and an 81 degree angle of
coverage (these numbers are taken from a secondary source, not from
Schneider, so it's possible they're off a little). Since 161mm is about the
size of the image circle required to cover 4x5 you won't get any movement
to speak of with this lens. It just barely covers 4x5 when stopped down.
However, many people happily use this lens for landscape work since
movements often aren't necessary with that kind of work and its small size
makes it ideal for backpacking. If you do architecture, product photography,
or anything else that requires movements you probably should return the lens
or buy a second one with room for more movements..

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
om...
Hi. I'm brand new to LF, and just bought my first camera and lens. I have

question about the lens, a Schneider Angulon 90mm f/6.8. I know it's old;
the serial number is is mid 5 million, making it a two years my senior.

The
trouble is, I can't seem to find any information about it on the web. What

did find conflicted with everything else. I'm looking for just the angle

of
coverage and coverage at infinity focus. It was mere curiosity before; now
that I have it in my hands, I'm concerned. I have loupes with more glass
than this lens has; it's not at all what I was expecting. Is this

reasonable
for a 4x5 wide angle lens? Will I get reasonable coverage and movement on
4x5? The camera hasn't arrived yet, so I'll have to wait a few more days

find out. In the meantime, you can help drive me crazy with more rumors

and
suppositions. What can you tell me about this lens I bought?

Thanks.
Mike.