Old June 7th 21, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Wide-angle shot up a tree wows mouth-breathers

Am 07.06.2021 um 02:49 schrieb Eric Stevens:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 12:12:27 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

Am 06.06.2021 um 02:13 schrieb RichA:
"Duh, how'd they do that?"
Not to say the picture is bad, just well...

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-57335458

Seems he used a fisheye lens, judging from the curvature of the ground,
which means he must have been very close to the orang utan, maybe even a
metre or less.

Perhaps he put the camera on the ground looking upwards and then used a
remote control to activate the shutter?
And guessing more, perhaps he put some food next to the camera, to lure
the monkey down from the tree?

You didn't read it. The sky is actually reflection in calm water (he
says).

Well, here there are more details:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/new...er-of-the-year

"Vijayan said, 'After spending few days in Borneo, I got this frame
stuck in my mind. To get this shot, I selected a tree that was in the
water so that I could get a good reflection of the sky and its leaves on
the tree. The water formed a mirror, making the image look upside-down.
Then I climbed up on the tree and waited for hours. This is a regular
path for the orangutans to use, so patience would surely pay off.'"

So he spent hours on a tree, waiting for this orang utan to pass by. I
guess that there was no guarantee that this monkey would come or that he
would get the shot.

Seems like photographers have a very high level of frustration tolerance
- willing to spend hours in an uncomfortable place, hoping to get a
unique shot.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site