Old December 13th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Self

Default Pentax k100d body, but which lens?

On Dec 10, 1:14 am, "Pete D" wrote:
"Wilba" wrote in message

Stilgar wrote:

I would like to get a Pentax k100d. I'm not completely sold on
getting the kit with the 18-55 lens however, and I was wondering if
anyone had information on that lens or an alternative?

Originally, I wanted to get the Pentax 50-200mm, because most of the
shots I'd like to take are wildlife shots, and my biggest complaint
about my old point and shoot is the lack of a decent zoom. That being
said, we have a baby on the way in January, and I've since realized
that most of the initial shots I'll probably be taking are indoor
Christmas shots followed by baby pictures.

Several people have told me just to buy the kit with the 18-55mm lens,
but I always thought that the lenses in the kits aren't the best
quality you can get. So I was wondering if I should get the 18-55, or
if there's a better alternative that's less than $200? I'm open to
non-Pentax lenses.

I'm going through a similar search right now. As tony said, the Pentax
16-45 is well regarded, but it's something like twice the standalone price
of the 18-55.

Check out the Sigma 17-70 -
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...669109_17_70mm....
F/2.8 would be handy for your indoor shots.

If you want an all-in-one lens, the Pentax 18-250 seems like a good
choice -
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._21697_SMCP_DA....
There is a Tamron equivalent (esentially the same lens) if you're not
attached to the Pentax brand -
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AF018P700_AF_....

The 18-55 is pretty much given away as part of a kit, so it will cost you
several to many hundreds more to take any of these options. You can get
kits which include the Pentax 16-45, Sigma 17-70, or Sigma twin
combinations (e.g. 18-50 & 70-300), so you can save some money by looking
for one of them that fits. Personally, I'm only looking at "designed for
digital" lenses (Pentax DA, Sigma DC, Tamron Di).

Really considering the cost of the K100D the 18-55mm is a pretty good match,
a little slow but a reasonable performer from F8 up. I have both the 18-55mm
and the 16-45mm Pentax lenses and the 18-55 stays on the DS and the 16-45
stays on the K10D most of the time. Probably the other cheap choice would be
the Sigma 18-125mm, cheap and cheerful and a reasonable performer for the
price.

I've got the 18-125 on my K10D, and like it a great deal, but it's an
orphan, no longer made.

For the new baby, the kit lens is great. For wildlife, 200mm (300 on
the K100D sensor) is not really long enough. I use a Sigma 70-300 and
still come up short, but, then, I have little time for getting out
after those shots and less capability with bad knees that keep me from
walking much. Under NO circumstances satisfy the 300mm need with the
Pentax 100-300. The best copies are mediocre. I sold mine almost
immediately after getting it. I also sold my 16-45 and halfway regret
that sale many days.