Old April 1st 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

Default Photographing birds in flight

In article , jmc
wrote:

I've finally purchased a longer lens for my XTi - the Canon 70-300mm DO
IS ISM. Nice lens, the shorter physical length is a lot more stable in
my small hands. I have been getting some very good pictures with this
lens, so I'm quite happy with it, despite the high cost.

I've been practicing taking pictures of birds in flight - raptors, for
the most part.

Not surprisingly, all of the ones taken with the sky as background, came
out with very dark birds. Also, for non-soaring birds, I'm finding it
very hard to follow them, and get decent pictures.

Is there a tutorial on the 'net somewheres that'll help me learn how to
take better bird action photos? How much do I compensate when the bird
is silhouetted against the sky?

Try [some combination of] this: Make sure you are in evaluative
metering, using only one (usually the center) auto-focusing point, and
over-expose by a stop or so using your exposure compensation. Or set
to continuous shooting, set to auto-bracket by a stop or so, and shoot
three-shot bursts (you have to continue to follow through with the bird
even though the shutter may be blocking your viewfinder between shots).
You may have to boost the ISO to bring your shutter speed back up if it
becomes too slow. Also, (you probably realize this, but...) try get
into a position that you can shoot the birds when the sun is at your
back, so it's highlighting the birds, rather than cross- or back-
lighting them.

Pictures where the bird's not silhouetted against the sky come out better:

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1959314

Thanks for any advice or information!

jmc

independence.