Old October 30th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
RichG

Default Minolta Dimag A200

If your subjects are a known distance ( or more ) away ( I shoot a lot of
junior football pix from the stands )...I set the focus on "manual" and set
the longest distance...which generally is 15 meters or 49 feet.

ALL of these shots are longer than that. That allows me to "snap" the shot
quicker, since I don't have to wait for the half/stop button to focus first.
The 12 x zoom helps to bring me in close, obviously.

Then, as was said earlier...anticipation is what works. I've got footballs
stopped in the air; volley balls flying and birds diving into the water...
dead stopped as they splash.......with that method. Luck plays a roll every
time, of course.

Another setting that helps is to use a "burst mode" which shoots three
quick shots at different settings.
......Sony DSC-H2...

Take a look at Action Shots1 on the MSN Digital Photography Club group
linked below.
RichG TX/IL
--
http://groups.msn.com/DigitalPhotographyClub