Old May 23rd 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.art

Default Writing off gear?

Income tax write-offs: generally, if you have income to buy equipment,
you must also put the income into your income taxes. That includes a
sum of $$$s for self-employment taxes and social security taxes. If,
after gifting the I.R.S. some of your money, the I.R.S. is kind, you
may be able to 'write-off' a portion of your equipment. The travel
part of your trip is a different story __ adding to the fact that you
hope to 'be a business' after the spending for a cruise trip.

You need to find a good tax accountant and listen to what he/she has to
offer.

Good luck!
= = =
Carlo Coggi wrote:
I am an advanced amateur photographer and will be taking an 'extreme
adventure' vacation this summer. A friend of a friend is editor of a
well-known travel magazine who heard about my somewhat unique vacation
and said that the magazine would be interested in seeing a spec
article/photos about the trip.

Business/Tax Question:

Two months ago I sold my Canon 10D and bought a 30D and some related
camera gear. If my photos and text are accepted for publication, can I
then form a sole proprietorship or corporation and *retroactively*
write-off the cost of my gear and trip?