Old January 14th 18, 07:14 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

- Susan Bugher wrote:

" Instructions
Download the zip file, extract the entire archive and run. If you get
errors, you probably need to install the pretty ancient .NET framework
1.1. "

Hi Susan,
I know you are a regular on the a.c.f newsgroup so I appreciate that you
proofed the instructions and the Rasterbator web site.

I am on Windows 10, where I downloaded the Rasterbator_Standalone_1.21.zip
file and extracted it and then made a shortcut to the exe in my menu.

That worked. I have *never* installed (on purpose anyway) .NET Framework on
this machine as you and I both know .NET Framework is a PITA.

So I agree that a .NET dependency sucks, if it is real.
But I didn't add .NET Framework to make it work.

Maybe .NET Framework was already on my Win10 system?
I don't know.

How do I tell what .NET Framework I have, if any?
Looking in CCleaner, it doesn't show up under Microsoft or under .NET.

Maybe it's hidden? Or maybe Windows 10 comes with it?
I don't know, but the extracted EXE ran fine on Windows 10 without me doing
anything else but click on a shortcut to it.

The Rasterbator .exe is dated 2005 and requires NET framework 1.1 Below
are a couple of similar apps that are also long in the tooth but don't
have that dependency. I opened them in Win7 but didn't try to print
anything.

Thanks Susan. I don't know how or why Rasterbator worked in Windows 10
without me adding anything. Does Windows 10 come with all the .NET
Framework that is needed?

How can I tell, on Windows 10, what .NET Framework already exists?

Program: Posteriza
Company: E-presencia
Wa (Freeware)
http://www.posteriza.com/
get the zip file which contains the 620KB .exe file
http://www.posteriza.com/es/ficheros...riza_1.1.1.zip
Results go directly to your printer.

I will try that and report back. Thanks.

Program: PosteRazor
Author: Alessandro Portale (aportale)
Wa (Freeware) (open source: GNU GPL)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/posterazor/
A zip is here which contains the no-install .exe
https://newcontinuum.dl.sourceforge.net/project/posterazor/Binary%20Releases/1.5.2/PosteRazor-1.5.2-Win32.zip
Results must be saved as a PDF file for printing.

Thanks for the two additional choices to test, so I will try them, along
with inkscape that Jonathan Little suggested - and report back.
1) https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.2/
2) http://www.posteriza.com/es/index.php?lang=en_US
3) https://sourceforge.net/projects/posterazor/

Thank you very much for being helpful as it's hard to communicate with so
many people and get everything right in the first pass!

So thanks for taking a second pass at the problem so that everyone learns
from all our combined efforts as it would be nice to have a single best
solution for free home creation and printing of posters that are larger
than the size of the paper in our home printers.