Old May 27th 10, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
SMS

Default Canon and Panasonic: updated models

On 26/05/10 3:19 PM, F wrote:
I'm looking to replace my ageing Panasonic FZ30 and am considering the
Canon SX1 IS and the Panasonic FZ38. Does anyone know whether or not
either of these is likely to be replaced in the next couple of months?

The SX2 IS is overdue but it won't necessarily be any better and could
be worse. Not every new model is better than the previous model,
especially on P&S cameras where the manufacturers get into megapixel
wars and end up with ridiculously tiny pixels and high noise. Canon
actually went backward from the G10 to the G11 in terms of pixels, which
was move forward in terms of quality.

The FZ38 is noisier than the SX1 IS, not surprising given Panasonic's
long history of noise boxes. Don't get the FZ38 if you plan on doing
anything in low light/higher than 100 ISO. Some reviews complain about
noise even at 80 ISO!

One advantage of most Canon P&S models is the availability of the free
CHDK software which adds some extra capabilities that more sophisticated
photographers may find useful. See "http://mighty-hoernsche.de/".
There's a beta version available for the SX1 IS. I helped write some of
the CHDK documentation and I'm a big fan (and user) of it.

One advantage of the Panasonic is that it uses a Li-Ion battery, while
Canon cut costs by using AA batteries.

Bottom line, the FZ38 while it has impressive specs on paper,
disappoints in actual use.