Old December 29th 04, 01:42 AM
Fred

Yes, sounds like it could be. One of these cold rainy weekends I'll take it
apart and check all the solder connections, etc. Thanks, Ken, for your
correspondence and help!

Fred

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Fred wrote:

Looks like we're making progress -- thanks to that real nice feller who
posted and suggested I try using the camera with an AC adapter.

[Note to the "try a new battery" crowd: No, it wasn't the batteries.]

I picked up an adapter at Frys Electronics for $19.99. I saw some on

ebay
and elsewhere online cheaper, but by the time you add the $5-10

"shipping
and handling" and wonder what kind of adapter you're "really" going to

get
and when.... I thought this one was the best choice. And it's a

universal
job - all kinds of voltages, and current up to 2500 mA, so that's fine

for
the C700 and my other junk too.

First I tried the camera as is - that is on good (new) alkaline

batteries
only - to be sure that it was giving the same problem. Sure enough,

same
problem - one shot or moving the zoom lever and "battery bad" message

pops
up.

Then I plugged the AC adapter into it and first time every time, the

camera
works again, just like it's supposed to, time after time, zoom in, zoom

out,
click, click, click, click, click....

Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only

again
and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery

bad
message.

Someone also said that there might be charging problem -- might be it.

May
be still a partially open circuit, bad solder joint or failing component
somewhere between the batteries and the power circuit. AC adapter may

have
temporarily charged up capacitors enough to get a few shots from the
battery-only.

Time will tell -- will see how many photos I get out of a new set of
batteries and report back.

Thanks again to all for all the dozen of constructive help! It took
several months, but saved me $155 in repair charges and I gain a great

deal
of knowledge about how these things work.

And a special thanks to all the whiners, complainers, know-it-alls and

the
"just buy another one" boys. Without your endless jabs and ignorant
comments, I probably would've dropped this months ago! B^)

Fred

Hi...

I guess leaving the only realistic possibility a
high resistance connection in the switch portion
of the adapter input plug.

Ah, well, I guess in this case tenacity paid off.
Congratulations.

Ken