Old September 4th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
K W Hart

Default How to use a hand light-meter?

"Darkroom User" wrote in message
news

I posted this question in the darkroom discussion group, but was told it
was not the appropriate group to post, so I will try here in the film &
labs section instead.
Film needs to be exposed properly for the best results, so I hope nobody
here takes umbrage.

As obtaining correct film exposure is of fundamental importance to
provide good negatives, would a hand meter be a worth while investment
instead of relying on the TTL metering of my 35mm SLR Camera that I use
at the moment?
I also use this to transfer readings across to my Mamiya RB67 medium
format camera.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of incident versus reflected
measurements?
I would like to know more about using a hand meter before parting with
my money.
I saw a Kenko KFM-2100 on-line, but it can be any other models and
brands you can think of, as I am not sure what to buy. Please help and
advise.

Very generally, a handheld meter is more accurate than one built into the
camera- very generally. A handheld meter might be easier to read and adjust
than the TTL meter.

I usually carry a meter with me-- I read the meter, look at the conditions,
and set the exposure to what I thought it should be without the meter
reading!

A reflected measurement is an overall average reading. An incident
measurement is more specific, and depending on circumstances may be more
accurate. However, in some cases (a picture of the Grand Canyon?), an
incident reading is difficult to impossible.

Keep in mind that the meter wants whatever it measures to be 18% gray. If
you are reading a snow scene, the meter will try to make the snow gray.

As to specific models, you might want to consider a meter that can read
electronic flash, or a spot meter (you look thru it and pick the spot you
want to read); depending on the kind of shooting you do. A digital readout
might be more rugged than a moving needle meter.

Ken Hart