Old June 4th 17, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Is Your Browser Color Managed?

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

Businesses that need business phones pay a lot
more for that, even though there's usually no
reason for it. When I started my own business I called
the phone company to ask whether I had to have
a business phone. They told me no, as long as I
didn't answer the phone with a business name. There's
no logic at all to that. It's just what the market will
bear combined with lack of regulation.

When systems go down, business phones get priority in repair.(at least
in theory.)

in practice too.

Obviously you've never been up a pole or in a cable vault. The circuits
that can be positively identified get repaired first. If a cable is
damaged by fire and the lineman finds 200 charred wires and 50 wires
with sufficient insulation to determine the color code, he'll repair
those 50 wires first just to get them out of the way. He's not going to
go through a bundle of charred, bare wires looking for business circuits.

obviously, you haven't a clue. this isn't about major outages due to
fire that affects thousands of customers.

if there's a problem with *your* line, business class service will have
someone out to fix it within a couple of hours, while residential will
be whenever they get around to it. tech support will be a higher tier,
staffed by people with a clue, not the "did you reset your modem? did
you reboot your computer?"

businesses generally can't afford downtime, while residential customers
can, thus the higher price.

business class service may also offer services not available to
residential customers, such as static ip, no prohibition on servers
and/or no blocking of ports.

(Disclosu I have never been up a telephone pole. I have been in a few
cable vaults.)

too bad you didn't stay in one of them.

Years ago, United Telco in central PA rationalized the higher business
rate because it included a Yellow Pages listing. This was back in the
day when only the local telco published a phone book.

who cares. it's not years ago anymore.

Nospam is totally clueless. Trouble ticket systems That
don't differentiate between business and residental. The tech
with the windshield wipers may never even know what was
being worked on

the tech doesn't need to know nor does he decide what to fix. he gets
sent out to fix something and he fixes it.

It happens that business phones are important, but not
more so than residential phones. On the grand scheme of
things the industry has always been based on the idea
that no one phone is more important, because it is that
other phone that calls it. Put a phone on every tree
and under every rock, and that is what generates the
traffic, not a phone that has a CEO at the end.

https://www.atlantech.net/blog/whats...n-residential-
and-business-fiber-internet
Another significant difference between business and residential fiber
is service level agreements (SLAs). For most residential Internet
users, a loss of Internet connectivity is unacceptable, but still
just represents a mild inconvenience. The results of a loss of
Internet connectivity can be devastating to business productivity.
While fiber Internet eliminates many of the reliability concerns
associated with high-speed cable Internet, business continuity is
still critical.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...y-i-pay-extra-
for-business-class-broadband-at-home/

Tech support. Calling an ISP's technical support line can be a
horrible, frustrating experience. Understanding that businesses are
on the hook for more money than consumers and that they need reliable
support, ISPs treat business-class accounts far better. All ISPs have
separate support lines for business-class customers; some, including
Comcast, actually assign dedicated account representatives,
eliminating the need to wait in the phone queue for most questions.
In addition, business-class customers usually get priority over
residential customers when scheduling technician visits.

other differences include:
No caps.
Unblocked ports.*
Static IP addresses.*

I never climbed a pole either. But as an IXC trouble
shooter I've given more technical advice to LEC's than
you can shake a stick at.

that has nothing to do with class of service.