Old June 3rd 04, 11:11 PM
Keith Patterson

Default below $1000 film vs digital

For quality and cost-effectiveness, buy a Mamiya C220 or C330 with the 55mm
lens set and possibly the 80mm and 135mm lens sets, or the 105 and 180mm
lens sets. (No longer in production, so will have to be second-hand - maybe
from KEH). Buy a heavy tripod (and use it). Then get a reasonable flat
bed scanner with film scanning facility built-in. You should get a
reasonable photo-editing package bundled with the scanner - if not, download
the Gimp from www.gimp.org. You will be getting quite large files - you
will need a reasonable amount of memory - preferably 512Mb of RAM, and
either a large hard drive or be prepared to burn a lot of CDROMs or DVDs.

This is a set-up I have, and negs I have scanned and manipulated myself I
can print (even using a consumer photo-printer) to a higher technical
quality than pro labs have managed with hand-prints in the past using
traditional printing methods. And when I get a professional print from a
pro lab using my digital file - Wow!

As another poster wrote, you could buy a 35mm SLR with 2 or 3 prime lenses
and a dedicated quality film scanner. The results would be almost as good,
unless you wanted to print above 10X8inches, and could be more convenient
with 1 hour processing, easy availability of film and so forth. However, if
you are seeking top quality you will have to accept a degree of
inconvenience - it seems to be an iron law. Many people reckon the
discipline of using a medium format camera on a tripod forces a more
perceptive, reflective way of working on you, resulting in a higher
proportion of keepers in your images. However, that's no use if you
photograph sports.

I've not put prices on these options, as I'm in the UK and I imagine they
will be different in the USA, but I would be surprised if you couldn't
follow the MF option within your budget.

HTH

Keith Patterson

--
"There is no way to happiness... Happiness is the way..."
"Mike Henley" wrote in message
om...
(Mike Henley) wrote in message

. com...

Additionally, within that same budget, i'm also considering a Medium
format camera...

I'm sorry, i should've used the word "alternatively" rather than
"additionally", 'cos i only want to purchase *one* camera. By
additionally, i meant an additional option, in addition to the above
options, rather possibly implying that i wanted an additional camera,
in addition to a camera from the above ones.