Old September 26th 04, 09:32 PM
Michael A. Covington

Default Slide scanning questions

I have a substantial number (240) of slides from 30 years ago that I need to
scan.

I have a Coolscan III, which produces beautiful scans but takes 1 minute per
slide. I figure I can average 40 slides per hour scanned, processed, and
saved with meaningful names. That means it's a 6-hour project.

I also have the slide copying adapter for my Coolpix 990, but have not been
satisfied with the quality.

My questions:

(1) Can someone recommend a commercial slide scanning service that can
accept slides in Carousel trays and return them to me in the same trays (in
the same positions)?

(2) Are newer slide scanners faster? Something equal to the Coolscan III in
quality but 3 times faster would be very welcome.

BTW, these are relatively casual snapshots and 900 dpi scans are sufficient.
I'm more concerned about exposure metering and automatic dust and spot
removal. Automatic compensation for fading cyan dyes (E-4) would be very
welcome.

Many thanks!

--
Clear skies,