Old November 21st 05, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default No tilt calculator on Sinar P?

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:33:52 +0000, nobody
wrote:

Am I right in thinking that the Sinar P does not have a tilt calculator,
like the F2 and P2?

It depends on the vintage of the P. The earlier cameras did not have
them - mine is from 1973 or thereabouts and does not have one. I
distinctly remember seeing them on later P's but I don't know what
date they were introduced. There were a number of minor upgrades
during the production life of the Sinar P, and this was one of them.

Or is there another way of calculating tilt with a rear
standard P? I am trying to use a P rear standard, but the rest of the system
belongs to F2. Thanks in advance for any comments, in particular from
people who know!!

To be quite honest, I never missed the tilt calculator. The tilt axis
on the rear standard goes through the lower of the two horisontal
lines on the focusing screen, so rear tilts can be done by focusing on
this line and tilt the standard until your second point is in focus.
If you wish to tilt your front standard instead, you can transfer the
measured tilt to the front standard and reset your rear to the
original setting. This is good enough for a rough setting (probably as
good as the tilt calculator since it doesn't specify which standard a
tilt is applied to). A final adjustment with a loupe is good practice
regardless of method.
--
- Helge Nareid
Nordmann i utlendighet, Aberdeen, Scotland