Old July 3rd 04, 12:19 AM
John Bartley

Default contact print exposure time

This afternoon, having finally made a negative with proper focus, I
decided to make a contact print. I had never done this before, and I've
got to say it wasn't a lot of fun at first. I read all the stuff on the
web that I could find about making test strips etc..but when I tried it,
all I got was solid black prints. Figuring that I was overexposing, I
searched with no success to try and find out what size of bulb to use
for exposing the paper. In error, I decided that a nice bright bulb
would be the way to go, so armed with a 100watt "cool white" gooseneck
lamp, I boarded up the bathroom (again!) and started to experiment. It
took eight tries to get the first useable print, and that was obtained
by flicking the lamp "on and off" twice with no stop in between. That
print being a bit too dark still, I tried again, and three tries later I
had a very nice useable print (scan to follow). This 100 watt bulb at
about 15" above the glass plate that held the negative and paper flat
took an exposure time of ??? It was just on and off again as fast as I
could flick the switch, almost like a flash bulb. I wonder if any out
there has any experience with "wattage" vs "exposure duration" times and
could lend some advice?

cheers again

--
regards from ::