Old May 6th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default Migration to Digital question

wrote:
I haven't followed the photographic scene lately and suspect there's
been a lot of advancement with digital photography.

I have a complete Rollei SL66 setup and would like to take some nature
photos but prefer to have digital output.

So...

What options are there? Is a digital back available? Would it be
best to shoot transparencies and scan? Or any other suggestions?

I scan using a Nikon 9000 ED with an anti-Newton-ring tray. It takes a
few minutes to setup, scan, occasioanally re-scan. a 6x6 produces a 77
Mpix file of about 470 Mbytes (16b/color).

However, My Sony a900 (36x24mm (aka full frame) sensor) produces cleaner
looking images that print pretty much as large at 24 Mpix. My desire to
shoot MF has waned quite a bit.

I'm considering a MF back for my Hasselblad. Even a used 16 Mpix is
well over $5K - hopefully this will fall with time. A 20 - 25 Mpix
sensor would be great.

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource:
http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm