Old January 19th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
C J Campbell

Default DSLR for "full auto" shooting of kids? or Point-and-shoot?

On 2008-01-18 02:58:14 -0800, 2Bdecided said:

We hated...
* after lots of continuous shooting, the flash suddenly needed a very
long time to recover, and became very sluggish

Several things possible he
1) The battery is running down.
2) You have discharged the capacitor so much that it is taking longer
to recycle.
3) You have taken so many flash pictures in quick succession that the
circuitry is overheating and the recycling time is taking longer in
order to allow the unit to cool off.

* having to look through a view finder - I know that's intrinsic to
how almost all DSLRs work, but we really missed the live view on the
LCD

Yeah, but your shots are steadier if you hold the camera to your face.
You get better pictures if you are using the viewfinder, so that should
be your preferred method. Also, that live view introduces a delay as
the camera has to process the picture. For example, on the Nikon D300,
which has Live View, you press the shutter to raise the mirror and turn
on Live View, then press it again to lower the mirror and hold the
shutter down until the picture is taken. It takes almost twice as long
to take picture with Live View turned on as it does with it off.

Nevertheless, live view has its uses, such as when you have the camera
on the floor and you don't want to lie down there with it, or when the
camera is on a tripod. The D40x and some other cameras are on close-out
right now. That is why they are so cheap. Wait a few weeks -- the
manufacturers will probably announce new DSLRs at PMA. I would bet we
will see some new Nikon and Canon DSLRs that are small, light, and
feature live preview.

I can't imagine wanting to change lenses. The idea of exposing the
sensor to dust doesn't appeal anyway! I seem to have enough bad luck
with cameras as it is.

That problem is overblown. And almost all the new cameras coming out
have some sort of sensor dust control that works with varying degrees
of success.

Alternatively, if there's a point-and-shoot which can match the speed
and safe exposure of the 400D, and yet still fit in my pocket and show
me everything on an LCD, I'd like to hear about it.

So would I.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor