Old January 19th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
william kossack

Default DSLR for "full auto" shooting of kids? or Point-and-shoot?

2Bdecided wrote:

Any helpful advice gratefully received!

It really depends on your uses. I started out with a point and shoot 5
years ago and still use the camera. It is light and fits into the
pocket. I use it where I don't want to lug around an SLR.

I've had DSLR cameras for several years (latest is the Nikon D200). I
use them for kids and pets and shots where I want quality, quick
response, etc etc. For example, for Christmas opening presents the DSLR
is a must. My old point and shoot seems to take for ever to take a
picture...it is the classic Open the present, hold it up, hold the fake
surprised/pleased look for an eternity etc etc

Get the best camera your budget will allow with a lens. Later add
another lens.

One thought however....you say your point and shoot was broken or died.
Was it something you did? Did you drop it or something? Or did it
just fail? Just something to consider before putting a large amount of
money into a new camera