Old May 17th 17, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Monitor settings

On Tue, 16 May 2017 17:22:49 -0400, Neil
wrote:

On 5/16/2017 4:05 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

I know someone who sells beads on the internet. She uses an X-Rite
color checker to make sure the color in the photo is the color of the
bead, but doesn't have a calibrated monitor. The print will be
accurate even if the monitor and print differ in look.

Since there are colors in the RGB spectrum that can't be reproduced in
CMYK and vice versa, there will always be differences between monitor
and print presentations of a photo.

Once I would have agreed with you, but over the last year (or so) my
Epson 3800 printer died followed by my 10 year old Dell U2410 monitor
and shortly after that my 4 year old Dell U2412 monitor. I now have an
Epson SureColor P800 and two Dell UP2516D high gamut monitors. I am
variously amazed, intrigued and impressed by the fact that when using
the Epson Premium Gloss photopaper, the difference between 'proof'
colors and normal settings are almost iniscernable. For practical
purposes what I see is what I get with the lighting of the print being
the limiting factor.

Calibrating the monitor makes it
easier to train the eye to spot color problems prior to printing. It
does little for on-line image presentation because most folks don't have
calibrated (or calibratable) monitors.

Eric Stevens