Old December 15th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

Default Fixing too much flash

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 22:50:30 -0500, ASAAR wrote:

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:48:14 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

While you might be able to handle the glare in PP, it's much
better to avoid creating the problem from the start. Learning how
to get better lighting will not only minimize or eliminate the
glare, it will also eliminate most of the harsh shadows, which some
might consider to be worse than the glare. Cute pic, though.

Why not reply with a post that is actually informative and helpful?

If you feel the lighting is not good, then explain how the lighting
could have been done better. Soft box? Diffuser over the flash?
Bounce light? Some external lights so the rear of the image is
illuminated? If you know what you're talking about, talk about it.

In the meantime, the poster has an image that he likes but the image
has something about it that he feels can be improved. Can you offer a
suggestion about how to go about it? You've mentioned "PP", which I
guess is Paintshop Pro. The OP didn't mention having it, but if
you're an expert with PP, then offer a method of correction.

Most people define PP as post processing, some as post production.

Haven't seen that abbreviation in any of the groups before. Perhaps
it's just a term that I haven't noticed being used. Since you
capitalized it, I assumed it was a product name. While it may be
used, I don't think it's a term "most people" use.

Your assumptions are misguided and inaccurate. Why do you think
that I'm an expert in PP if you don't even know what it refers to?
The fact is that I don't do any PP (yet), and almost all of the
correcting I've done to date is with the simplistic IrfanView which
nice as it is, is definitely not a decent PP tool, and I don't own
Paintshop Pro, LightRoom or Photoshop.

As you are familiar with lighting equipment and I assume you that
have some knowledge of lighting techniques I'll let you (or others)
talk about it if you wish. But I wouldn't recommend doing so until
the OP shows some interest and a willingness to expend the necessary
time, effort and money.

What do you want from him? He came in, he said he thought the glare
wasn't right, and he asked for suggestions. Pretty straight-forward.
The interest and the willingness is demonstrated by the question.

I thought it was helpful to try to point
him in a better direction for future images even though you didn't
see the value in that.

You didn't offer value. Value is saying that you think the shadows
are too harsh, and harsh shadows can be minimized by (fill in the
technique you think would work).

I know a little about lighting but there are others here that know
far more about both the topic and the equipment. If the OP is
ambitious enough to take the initiative there are many good books on
lighting and several websites that offer guidance or tutorials.
http://luminous-landscape.com/ is one that has columns, essays,
tutorials and techniques. http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ is
another, and while it's oriented towards Nikon's gear, much of its
content is applicable to any brand's lighting equipment. But it
might be a bit advanced for a neophyte unfamiliar with terms such as
snoots, beauty dishes, grids and gobos. That shouldn't stop anyone
with a real desire to learn and who is willing to use google.

"Mastering Digital Flash Photography" (by Chris George, Lark
Books) does a good job covering the basics of lighting, equipment
and techniques for beginners, but more specialized or comprehensive
books might be needed for those that get *really* interested in
mastering lighting. Another resource is DPReview's Lighting
Technique forum. There's probably a forum that specializes in
questions pertaining to the OP's camera brand/model, and they're
frequently used to answer questions similar to the OP's.

While this isn't the issue here, I don't see how lighting techniques
are camera-specific. As far as I know, you light a scene - a
table-top in this case - the same for any brand or model of camera
that you use provided you have some minimal control over aperture,
speed, and flash. Similar cameras, anyway.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida