Old September 7th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default FA: Canon EOS 5D

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
frederick wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
rederick wrote:

No. I expect that Hasselblad know that even a small pop-up
flash can work reasonably well as a direct fill flash,

If I want "reasonably well", I don't buy Hasselblad.

Exactly. That's why they include a pop up flash. You
appear to be able to do "reasonably well" without one.

You misread me. If I buy Hasselblad, I want "excellent", not
"reasonably well". "reasonably well" is a higher end compact
camera or a low end DSLR on full auto.

It's not heaviness so much as an extra piece of equipment to
lug around in a bag.

You need a better bag.

On many occasions, I try not to "need" a bag at all. One
camera, two lenses - one in a pocket.

Use a compact camera, then; no need to carry a second lens and
it has an inbuilt flash.

I don't like carrying equipment with me that I'm unlikely to want to
use.

I am extremely unlikely to use the pop up flash, and I cannot
even leave it at home nor not buy it in first place. So there.

You're "extremely unlikely" to use the pop up flash because
your camera hasn't got one.

Wheee! I now have a 20D _without_ a pop up flash.
Oops, belay that, my camera says it _still_ has a pop up flash.
Darn.

You really had me confused there for a moment.

The only valid reason I've seen posted so far not to have a
built in flash was that it's potentially a bit
fragile/exposed, and can pop up accidentally.

Let's add: There are many places where flash is frowned
upon. You can show your camera and say: See? No flash.

I've never struck that.

So? I've never felt a need for a pop-up flash in a DSLR, so
there.

Let's add: it's yet another "feature" to be controlled,
needing another dedicated button or menu slot.

Get over it. There are many features I never use in the
menu. The button that pops up the flash is the same button
used to control flash settings with.

Oh, an overlaid button. Fancy that --- and all that for
something I don't need.

-Wolfgang