Old September 7th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default FA: Canon EOS 5D

rederick wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
frederick wrote:

Hasselblad put a pop-up flash in the H3d - if it's okay to
put such an "amateur" feature in that camera, then IMO it's
a cop-out for Canon and Nikon not to include a pop-up flash
in their pro cameras.

Just because some people, who as ministers or judges should darn
well know that murder is wrong, commit the very same never the
less, is no reason for the other people to follow suit.

Or are you claimimg that Hasselblad cannot do wrong?

No. I expect that Hasselblad know that even a small pop-up
flash can work reasonably well as a direct fill flash,

If I want "reasonably well", I don't buy Hasselblad.

and as a catch-light flash, the small diffuser is possibly even an
advantage in some cases over a larger flash unit.

Any other straws lying around?

It's not heaviness so much as an extra piece of equipment to
lug around in a bag.

You need a better bag.

I don't like carrying equipment with me that I'm unlikely to want to
use.

I am extremely unlikely to use the pop up flash, and I cannot
even leave it at home nor not buy it in first place. So there.

YMMV - but that doesn't make your opinion correct.

Nor does it make your oppinion correct.

The only valid reason I've seen posted so far not to have a
built in flash was that it's potentially a bit
fragile/exposed, and can pop up accidentally.

Let's add: There are many places where flash is frowned
upon. You can show your camera and say: See? No flash.

Let's add: it's yet another "feature" to be controlled,
needing another dedicated button or menu slot.

-Wolfgang